Trending News
Category
City
Zipcode/Postcode

Overcoming a stutter to fulfil my dream of teaching – Disability Horizons

Adam Black shares his experience of living with a stutter and how he overcame his condition with help from The McGuire Programme. The course gave him the confidence to follow his dreams of becoming a teacher and to support others who also have difficulties with stuttering.

Stuttering is a hidden disability that affects 1% of the world’s population. For many people who stutter, the world can be an intimidating place to live, and one where a stutterer can feel isolated. Renowned speech pathologist, Joesph Sheehan, describes stuttering as an iceberg. People only see 10% of the stuttering – blocking, freezing or sound repetitions – and the other 90% is underneath the surface – shame, embarrassment, lacking confidence, sadness. The 90% below the surface is often the hardest part for people who stammer.

As a stutterer myself, I used to be anxious and embarrassed every time I spoke. I felt alone and that no one could understand my situation. I left school and chose a course at college that involved little to no speaking, even though all I wanted to do was be a teacher. I hated the feeling of wanting to do one thing, but being forced to do something else. It left me frustrated at myself and at the world around me.

The McGuire Programme

Around 10 years ago I knew something needed to change, so I started searching for help. I found a stuttering therapy course called The McGuire Programme. It is a unique therapy as it is run by people who also stutter.

The course itself follows a rigorous four-day format and entails 15 hours of intense speech work every day. The intensity means that you give yourself every chance of making the changes needed to tackle your stammering.

The McGuire Programme taught me both physical and physiological techniques to control my stutter. This included learning a new way to breathe when speaking, called costal breathing. It is a type of breathing that opera singers use and is a way to give your voice more power.

Another important aspect I learnt was to use an assertive tone when speaking, as well as not holding back on sounds.

The physiological techniques involved defeating the negative associations that I had built up around speaking. This included speaking dysfluently (i.e. where the speech isn’t completely fluent) in a controlled way. Being dysfluent on my own terms – because I made it so, not because of my stammer – gave me the confidence to accept that it is fine to speak differently from other people. It allowed me to stop hiding and to accept myself as a person who stutters.

This shift in mindset was the most difficult change, but was the most important. I was finally accepting who I really am. By accepting myself as a person with a stutter, I was dealing with those feelings below the surface and melting away the 90% of ice.

After my first course, everything changed for me. I no longer felt alone. I had a supportive community of other people who knew how I was feeling, and I knew that a coach was only a phone call away if needed any advice or help.

Read more at: http://disabilityhorizons.com/2018/04/overcoming-a-stutter-to-fulfil-my-dream-of-teaching/

Share
Font Resize